No public Twitter messages.
Archive for September, 2011
Last week, I was privileged to go speak for the Public Relations Society of America Tampa Chapter on Search Engine Optimization for PR Professionals.
The group was fantastic with great questions, and it was an added bonus how beautiful the surroundings were!
A special thanks to the PRSA Tampa President Missy Hurley MacFarlane, APR & PRSA Tampa President-Elect Angela Walters for their hospitality & inviting me to come out. (And John Siebenthaler for designing the graphic at right!)
- Search Engine Basics
- Identifying Your Audience
- Optimizing Your Website
- Measuring Success
1) SEARCH ENGINE BASICS
- How Does a Search Engine Work? – 1. Spider crawls content, 2. Catalogs in index, 3. Algorithm determines what shows for any search
- Search Engines are deaf & blind
- Search Engine Relationships
2) IDENTIFYING YOUR AUDIENCE
- Establish a Baseline - Set Up Google Analytics Tracking
- Research Your Target Market – Brainstorm, Keyword Suggestion Tools, Select 3 Key Phrases
3) OPTIMIZE YOUR WEBSITE
- What do Search Engines Look For?
- Content is King
- Logically Incorporate Keywords while Keeping Your Message – in text, in alt tags, in fancy words, in links
- Keep Your Site Fresh
- Optimize Across the Web – Local Listings, Online Advertising
4) MEASURE YOUR SUCCESS
- Visits vs. Conversions
- Is the phone ringing?
SEO.com recently came out with a stellar infographic featuring the Stars of Search Marketing. You may or may not yet be familiar with these names but in the world of Search Engine Optimization, you should definitely know their work. This fun infographic also showcases the future of search according to these SEO experts.
For more information about these Search Stars visit their websites:
- Bruce Clay – BruceClay.com
- Matt Cutts – MattCutts.com/blog
- Danny Sullivan – SearchEngineLand.com
- Rand Fishkin – SEOmoz.org