Second panel of the day is moderated by Richard Zwicky of Enquisite featuring Avinash Kaushik of Google, Jim Sterne of Web Analytics Association(a client!), Matthew Bailey of SiteLogic and Marshall Sponder of Monster.com
Kaushik, author of Web Analytics, An Hour a Day is first up talking about the thing that most defines him – his family. Awww.
He is talking about the three original channels of content – Creation->Distribution->Consumption. This isn’t the case anymore with Web 2.0. A user can comment on a site and Track Back can be linked to that content. If that site has RSS your content is then distributed on there as well. Finally web content is finally aping the that last W in the WWW – Web.
Kaushik is referring to multiplicity and the effect of RSS letting users push content around the web. This gives users a way to experience the web the way they want and using tools like Analytics we can measure their behaviours.
Next up its Jim Sterne of Web Analytics Association talking about Web metrics, search metrics and how they have grown up with the Web 2.0. We can now pinpoint users behaviours and likely hood to convert into a buyer.
Sterne makes the case for ridding your site and/or PPC campaign of keywords that do not sell anything. This is a key factor in what Google AdWords calls Quality Score.
Thirdly we have Matthew Bailey presenting on how Captain Kirk was the first pioneer of analytics. Kirk knew which space women were the better ones, the green or the blue. He knew by season two that they were running out of red shirts. Hehehe.
According to Startrek.org they had a five year mission with 54 deaths which breaks down to a 13.7% mortality rate. Bailey is calling the ‘Conversion Rate.’ Further reviewing the mortality rate 42.5% of the death of ‘red shirts’ took place on the ship. The other 57.5% took place after ‘beaming down.’ When Kirk meets an alien woman after beaming down only 16% or red shirts died.
What does this all mean? Oh sure it’s funny to drill down into the death of red shirted crew members of the Enterprise(that sounds funny to even type) but its this understanding of the segmentation, how to analyze it and then you will be able to make a calculated decision on where to go next.
Funny Stuff Bailey
Lastly we have Marshall Sponder also a board member of Web Analytics Association. He is talking about the Social Media factor in Web 2.0 analytics. Speaking on a study on Military.com he states that 50% of the traffic to their blog is from Social Media sites and applications such as Facebook and Twitter to name a few.
Sponder believes that the CMO of a company should be a good web analyst. I couldn’t agree more