Last week, I was privileged to go speak for the Public Relations Society of America Tampa Chapter on Search Engine Optimization for PR Professionals.
The group was fantastic with great questions, and it was an added bonus how beautiful the surroundings were!
A special thanks to the PRSA Tampa President Missy Hurley MacFarlane, APR & PRSA Tampa President-Elect Angela Walters for their hospitality & inviting me to come out. (And John Siebenthaler for designing the graphic at right!)
- Search Engine Basics
- Identifying Your Audience
- Optimizing Your Website
- Measuring Success
1) SEARCH ENGINE BASICS
- How Does a Search Engine Work? – 1. Spider crawls content, 2. Catalogs in index, 3. Algorithm determines what shows for any search
- Search Engines are deaf & blind
- Search Engine Relationships
2) IDENTIFYING YOUR AUDIENCE
- Establish a Baseline – Set Up Google Analytics Tracking
- Research Your Target Market – Brainstorm, Keyword Suggestion Tools, Select 3 Key Phrases
3) OPTIMIZE YOUR WEBSITE
- What do Search Engines Look For?
- Content is King
- Logically Incorporate Keywords while Keeping Your Message – in text, in alt tags, in fancy words, in links
- Keep Your Site Fresh
- Optimize Across the Web – Local Listings, Online Advertising
4) MEASURE YOUR SUCCESS
- Visits vs. Conversions
- Is the phone ringing?